Saturday, February 7, 2009

Endearments

I dated my husband for ten years before we married.  I was eighteen when I went on that blind date, he was twenty-eight.  It was nearly scandalous.  Circumstances were mitigated by the fact that I had left home at age seventeen and was in my second year of college.  Still...

One friend/coworker ,who met George after knowing me for some months, said "You two are like male and female counterparts of the same person".   Creepy.

After thirty-six years of knowing, we do have a kind of strange connection.   I know when he is hurting, when he will call (even unexpectedly), when he is out of his element, when he is not being truthful.  He mostly makes me crazy.  And he's proud of his ability to do so.

He compliments me, too, passing on little endearments,  I guess that's what they are, anyway.  It helps to know that he intends them that way.  But, well, I leave it to you to decide:

'That was pretty good.  You caught yourself before you fell all the way down'.

While looking at a family album:  "You were so cute when you were little.  Look--your knees look like you were smuggling walnuts!"

"You're complexion is so light, without make-up, you look like you're blind!"

"You are interesting to watch when you try to do stuff."

"It's amazing that sometimes you can be so graceful."

No comments: