Saturday, February 7, 2009

Why I Hunt

Why do I hunt?  It's a lot to think about and I think about it a lot.  I hunt to acknowledge my evolutionary roots, millennia deep, as a predatory omnivore.  To participate actively in the bedrock workings of nature.  For the atavistic challenge of doing it well with an absolute minimum of technological assistance.  To learn the lessons, about nature and myself, that only hunting can teach.  To accept person responsibility for some of the deaths that nourish my life.  For the glimpse it offers into a wildness we can hardly imagine.  Because it provides the closest thing I've known to a spiritual experience.  I hunt because it enriches my life and because I can't help myself...because I have a hunter's heart.                                                               ---David Petersen

No comments: