Saturday, June 26, 2010

Desirable Patient

Google image
'You have a patient coming.' says the charge nurse.

'Okay', I say, take the history form from her, which reveals nearly nothing about the patient except dentition, allergies, and what surgery they are having.

I look up the patient on the hospital web for history. Oh, goody.

Meth user (probably will require a ton of meds to deal with even minimal pain), terrible dentition (meaning great breath and streppy saliva, too), gonorrhea recently cleared up (that's good), has anxiety (suddenly so do I right now...), two pack a day smoker (get out the suction), impulsive (meaning all lines and tubes are in danger of being manually and forcefully pulled out; get out soft restraints), Hepatitis C (gloves!), and poor hygiene (get out odor neutralizer and warm wet washcloths), obese (what a surprise).

Okay, I'm ready. Wait, there's another entry by the doctor: 'a rather angry person'. Even better. Get some help so I don't get hurt.

Another day in the PACU, another all-too-common patient. Lest I repeat myself: Goody.

No comments: