Thursday, June 24, 2010

Quote

Google image

We have lived through the era when happiness was a warm puppy,

and the era when happiness was a dry martini,

and now we have come to the era when happiness is

'Knowing what you uterus looks like'.

---Nora Ephron


I had a hysterectomy at 36. I asked to see the parts after removal. My doctor said 'Okay'. I was in the hospital six days. As I was preparing to leave, I asked again to see my parts. The nurse warned me that my uterus, Fallopian tubes and ovaries would be thin-sliced, having been tested for pathology. I said 'Fine. Bring them'.

So, the lab tech brought the parts in a vacuum sealed bag, thin-sliced and tinier than I expected...

The nurse, and the other nurses, hovering nearby, wanted to know, 'Why do you want to see this?'. I know that I want to see the source of my femaleness, the center of my monthly cycles since twelve years of age, and the nest of my children during their genesis. But, being me, I snapped back:

'Because I want to slap the bitch'...

No comments: