Monday, September 7, 2009

Goddess Size


Big women sized clothing is called many things; queen-sized, woman's world, plus sizes, you know. Well, that addresses the women who are regular gals with extra pounds. Or the smaller than normal women who have sizes called 'petite' (don't get me started...) What about the women like me, or my daughter, or my eldest son's girlfriend, who are of normal weight but just, well, bigger than most women. We are left out, that's what.

We spot some delightful bit of apparel, hold it up to ourselves and feel the texture, drink in the color, dream of where and when we would wear it, and take it to the fitting room with hope in our heart. Then, our arms go too far into the sleeves, or the waist line comes to a screeching stop at our armpits, or the full length skirt hits us mid knee. The dream shatters like a two dollar tiara.

My mother used to say that I looked like I had 'jumped too far into my clothes'. Real funny, plus-woman. For a gawky and painfully thin adolescent, it was fodder for phobias. As I grew up, other inequities arose. Skirt length, for example. In high school, girls wore short skirts. It was the fad. But, when a skirt was deemed too short, a rule was made; skirts could not be more than four inches above the knee. For the little tiny specimens, that skirt could be right under their ass cheeks. The tall girls' skirts were a full yard long. I could not get anyone to listen to my contention that, to be fair, the skirts should be measured from the butt cheeks down.

My daughter and I hate 3/4 length sleeves. Why? Because every damn woman's shirt we put on has 3/4 length sleeves, on us. We go to the men's department to get sweaters and sweatshirts and tee shirts. Giving us a slightly androgenous look that, frankly, sometimes we'd like to avoid.

So, I have coined a new size designation. This is for the tall, long limbed, wide shouldered gals who are still feminine, still fashion conscious, yet ignored. We are Goddess sized. We stand tall and proud. Tall, therefor, as Emily says, 'closer to God'.

No comments: