Monday, September 28, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me


Today, I turn 55. I am the speed limit in Oregon. I am eligible for senior discounts at Burger King and Ross (on Tuesday). I am seven years from the US age for Social Security. Hmmm.

I don't feel any age at all. I am often surprised when I catch a glimpse at myself in a window or mirror, surprised at my, well, maturity. I know I look older, I just don't feel it. Age is a number. I think I quit feeling any age at all around 35 or 38. Forty didn't even really dent my dissociation with my age.

However, I react, often quite badly, when my sister, who is a year and a half older than I, reaches a landmark age. I hated when she turned 55. I kept calling her up to process my new view of her until she got mad. She really didn't feel inclined to counsel me through her aging process. The thing is, by the time I reach the same age eighteen months later, I breeze through it, it feels familiar and I am okay with it. I'm sure she appreciates her role in my coping... Right.

Well, I don't mind 55 at this point. It is what it is. I feel good, I look okay, I have a great family, many friends, and a job I love. I miss the admiring glances from men, true, but, at least I had them at one time. And what a future I have; travel nursing, being a grandma, retiring with my life love, learning Spanish, meeting more wonderful animals, and getting more and more comfortable with myself and my God.

I'll keep you posted on the ride!

No comments: