Saturday, December 12, 2009

Graduation day

(My son and his thesis adviser, the Dean of Sciences)
Today, my husband and I attended the graduation of our middle child, our son the pre-med soccer player. He graduated with honors, cum laude, with an additional degree from the Honors College in addition to Biology. He was selected by the faculty to speak at the ceremony.

A reception followed, during which time we were surrounded by professors who were effusive in their praise of my son's intellect, character and kindness. It was, as George says, a report card for us as parents. And, we got A+.

We have had two of our children graduate from college so far, and one will follow next year. I am grateful for the hard work and diligence my kids give to their studies and future. I came from undereducated, low socioeconomic roots, and I have been determined for my kids to have better than I had. I made it through both university and nursing school, but with lots of loans and hardship.

Now, another one faces the real world, equipped with education, no loans, a good car, and a deep appreciation for what put him where he is.

Congratulations, my son, the graduate.

No comments: