Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Reality check


My sister, the one closest in age to me, a mere eighteen months older, had a heart attack today. Damn. That is not supposed to happen to chicks as young as we are.

Wait, though... she is only one year younger than our dad when he died of cardiac related issues. And,...oh, yeah, just four short years younger than our mother, who died of a heart attack aided by the incompetence of a doctor.

Hunh... maybe we are in that window of opportunistic death. Maybe we are facing mortality.

I can't take this. I don't want to deal with this. The family is calling, calling, texting, e-mailing... What's up? How serious is this? Serious. Really? Really. But, you two are the 'little girls', the babies, how can this be?

Time, baby. It catches up with us all. We trade the bad habits, the studious ignoring of symptoms and heredity for the future. Time to pay up. Sad and alarming, but true. As a famous law enforcement instructor told me, "There are very few true victims".

I will pray for a better tomorrow for my sister, and for the changes wrought by a wake-up call.

No comments: