Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Sherlock





I a nervous about seeing the new Sherlock Holmes movie starring Robert Downey, Jr. I have been a Sherlock fan for years.

I have accepted the fact that he is a tall, thin, geeky guy with a prominent nose and strange tastes, as written by Conan Doyle. I adapted to him as a voice on the radio rather than just within the written word. I have stuck with him as his face went through the transmogrifications of Basil Rathbone, Jeremy Brett, Peter O'Toole, John Neville, and over a dozen other pretenders. I refused to watch him played by Leonard Nimoy or Charleton Heston, for obvious reasons.

But, Robert Downey, Jr.?! He's way too cute to be The Man himself. And I saw the previews. Sherlock naked, tied to a headboard?! Not in a million years! His clothing is permanently affixed to his body! He was born in a smoking jacket, for God's sake!

How could I witness the modern version and be entertained? For that matter, how could I remain calm? I don't think he would ever find himself in such a condition, not if 'that woman' herself, Irenie Adler, managed to somehow seduce him.

I would need a lot of support to see this movie, maybe even meet with a counselor to debrief after. And then years of support groups. It is just all too much.

No comments: