Saturday, April 24, 2010

Good ride

Cruz, with a friend
A Western woman who chooses to ride as a hobby/sport is judged. By her balance, her approach to discipline, her mount and his ability to keep up/step out/not spook/be calm. It can be stressful and humiliating. But, not today...

Today, my new gelding, Cruz, made me proud (again), showed me as a strong disciplinarian and balanced horsewoman. He was a forward going, curious and capable trail horse. When he balked at being the lead horse, he and I had a 'meeting of the minds' moment that convinced him of my strength and consistency. All valuable currency when one is trying to make inroads into existing riding groups and the heart and mind of a new horse.

We have been invited back. We are accepted, endorsed, desirable as companions. The new currency of ridership/horsemanship/horse behavior is in our favor.

Good night, Cruz. Good job, tired guy. I forgive you for peeing and pooping in our new trailer. More trail adventures await us tomorrow...

No comments: