Sunday, April 11, 2010

Proud flesh

Google image, my horse's was higher on the forehead
First thing today, my task was to deal with the icky thing on Cruz's (my horse) face. It looked like the raised wheal of a bot. But, it turned out to be proud flesh growing under tough dermal tissue, creating a boil-like wound.

Lidocaine, freely injected around the wound. Betadine cleanser, after the area was numb. Scalpel to debride the tissue. Pick-ups to hold up the tortured flesh, surgical scissors to cut away the excess granulated tissue. Not much blood, but an open wound covered with antibiotic ointment.

He tolerated the procedure well, actually dozing off, leaning into my daughter's hands as I placed pressure on the seeping veins. What a trooper.

Ugly stuff, dealt with summarily. Just another day in the life of a farm woman.

No comments: