Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Horse prints on my heart, and my foot

Not my foot, Google image, but this is what my left foot looks like after Cruz rushed the gate to return to 'his' mare. And he's a gelding!

So, I have a horse. And I love my horse. And I got him a pasture buddy so that he would not be lonely, being new to our home and ownership. I had my niece bring over the horse of her choice. She did, a little mare.

So, I did not realize the influence some mares can have on some geldings. This turned out to be the worst combination in the world... for me, not for them. They seem to like one another, but they can't bear to be seperated. After only two days they we like this.

Now, I can't even ride my horse. He is a snorting, screaming, stomping, sweating bundle of nerves, as the mare screams and runs the fence line, calling him back. What idiots. What drama...

Well, a couple days ago, he stepped on my foot. It hurt like hell, which is what I gave him.

It has gone from black to scarlet to blue. It doesn't hurt all that much, didn't swell much, thanks to ice and elevation. But, man, is it pretty. And looks terrible. This is the same foot I sprained and broke the toes on two and a half months ago. Ouch.

So, the girl goes. I am the only girl for Cruz right now. No room for two. He will be alone, with me for his best company, and we will refocus his attention on each other. As it should be.

No comments: